Sunday, February 20, 2005

Found Flowers

I planted some alyssum that I dug up out of the strip of city-owned land next to the boulevard not very far from my house. The first little clump I dug up with a stick, but since, after a couple of days, it didn't die, I got bold and brought my trowel with me the second time and dug up a bigger clump. They are both still fairly small clumps and have made little noticeable difference in the random growth on the strip of land where I got them. What mostly grows there are trees that fall over in bad storms, grass, and voluntary wildflowers (aka weeds). We have been having lots of rainy days and my (it is now mine) alyssum seems to be surviving. It probably won't last, though, since it will not get any direct sunlight, ever. But right now, whenever I go outside, there they are, at the junction of where the path and the house meet, small roundish groups of tiny white flowers, offset by the dark soil that covers what was once sand dunes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home